Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spinnin' & SAL/KAL Shawl

I feel like I haven't completed many projects in the last few weeks. I attribute this to the fact that I have begun taking on projects that are larger than a simple hat. One such project is the TYF SAL/KAL (Spin-along/Knit-along) shawl. I mentioned this shawl in my last blog and I'm happy to say that I got done in time for its intended purpose - Sam's Birthday!!!



It's the very first time I've ever spun specifically for a project AND crocheted!!! I finished the shawl with a crochet edge. A BIG thank you to Barbara who provided a lot of guidance and help with this project! I am really happy with the way it turned out and I think Sam really loved it. It looked beautiful on her! It also looked really nice on Dennis, of course, I can't think of much that wouldn't look good on him.


I'm spinning up some wensleydale dyed locks. I took a class with Michelle at TYF to understand how to spin certain fibers and I love spinning locks right now! I separated the rainbow goodness into it's rainbow order. Then, I'm going to n-ply the yarn so the colors stay in long blocks. Here's a picture of the first couple of bobbins.


I'm also working on plying some handspun with a novelty eyelash yarn. Barbara hand-dyed the BFL fiber. I should be done plying today. Eyelash yarn is something I never thought I'd be drawn to, but it sure is more flexible than I had originally thought.



I think the MOST exciting fiber thing that I have happening, though, is that I am finally working on getting my loom warped. TYF has started offering more weaving classes. I took a design class with Michelle yesterday and we got my warp wrapped!


My Dad made my warping board and I brought it into the shop. I decided to use some handspun for the weft. It's fitting that my weft is handspun from leftovers of previous classes with Michelle.


TYF was kind enough to let me leave my loom at the shop in preparation for the beginning weaving class! I am so excited! Mac Sally finally made her debut!

2 comments:

  1. That picture of me reminds me of my arcadian days in "Fiddler on the Roof":

    "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis! You are too funny! I can just hear you singing that... with a schmata on your head!

    ReplyDelete