Saturday, May 8, 2010

Helping to Make Things Beautiful

There is no object so foul that intense light will not make it beautiful. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every now and then I come across a tool that helps me take my fibery makings to the next level. I have a variety of tools and some (don't tell my husband) aren't as helpful as others.

Last summer, I was spending a lot of time with a friend who had an OttLite. She had it right next to her couch in her living room and seemed to always want to sit under it. I didn't really understand what was so special about this light, but I was curious. Sam and I were stumbling around Michael's last summer and these lights were 40% off. Ben had been out of work and 40% off $200 is a lot of money when you are trying hard not to spend a dime. I decided to go for it. My living room is incredibly dark. It's nice sometimes, but not conducive to knitting, spinning, weaving, etc. This little light has changed my life.
Picture above from OttLite's website.

Initially, Ben complained that the light was too bright. He also was baffled and said something like, "do you really think you need that light?" and "do you think it's worth it?" I hear those two lines a lot. I did what I normally do, I ignored his questioning and continued enjoying my new light. Well, wouldn't you know it? Ben started using my light. A couple of weeks later, we were back at Michael's and buying an OttLite desk lamp for Ben.

I've since moved my OttLite into my new fiber room and missed having an OttLite in the living room. I'm not in the living room as often as I was, but I haven't been thrilled about the idea of schlepping my light around.

This week, I was strolling around Michael's and low and behold - an OttLite for more than 50% off! There was only one at this price and it looked oldish. I scooped it up and headed out. Now, I've added a 3rd OttLite to our home.

I've gotta say these OttLites truly make a difference. They provide you with amazing light, they are flexible, lightweight, durable and reasonably affordable. If you do any type of craft, art, etc. - find a coupon for Michael's (or JoAnns) and get yourself one. You won't be sorry.

5 comments:

  1. I should say that I often use my OttLite to also provide extra light for picture taking. Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use my OttLite for extra light when taking photos of projects, really helps the colors look true in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my OttLite, I just wish they were a little more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debi! You know they do make different styles, right? Some are fancy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered OttLites the same way--there was a big sale at Hobby Lobby. I got a small one, normally 80 bucks, for under 50!

    The true light bulb does indeed work as it is more "neutral" than florescent or incandescent bulbs, and since I am so picky about color temperature it is especially helpful!

    ReplyDelete