Friday, July 1, 2011

'Twas the Night Before TDF 2011

What is TDF 2011?  If you aren't really into spinning or ravelry, then this will be your very first question.  Tour de Fleece is the annual spin-along during the Tour de France.  It starts on July 2nd and runs through July 24th, just like the Tour de France.  There are various teams and some people are committed to spinning on more than one team.  I usually just join Tempe Yarn & Fiber's team - Fred's Fiber Fiends.  A group name, by the way, which is totally fitting. 

I started spinning in 2009 and got my first wheel right when the tour started, so for me it's a very personal thing.  I can't say I've ever really set goals for myself.  Mostly, I just do a LOT of spinning during this time.  I decided to set goals because my mindset about goals has changed.  If we don't have goals, then we don't push ourselves and experience the utter joy that comes when a goal is reached.  My goals are pretty lofty and I am still subscribing to the fact that it IS about the journey. 

Here are my 3 Goals for TDF 2011:

1) I want to finish spindle spinning 56 grams (almost 2 ounces) of tussah silk.  I am spinning this incredibly thin, so this is probably one of the hardest goals.  I plan to wheel ply it. 
2) I bought some stunning black alpaca, mentioned in this blog post, from Peaceful Prairie Ranch.  I have about 12 1/8 oz. of this gorgeous stuff and I would like to spin it at a 2-ply fingering weight.  Here's some info about yarn weight for those of you that are scratching your head.
3) I have some BFL+ batts, mentioned in this blog post, which I'm hoping to spin into a thick/thin single (no plying) with some beads and glittery thread.  I haven't made an art yarn in a while, so this ought to be fun!!!

I hope to post a few blogs about my progress, but with all of the spinning, that is a very optimistic statement.  Ready?  Set?  Spin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment