Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fiberin' Around in Flagstaff

This blog is a bit overdue.  A handful of us headed to Flagstaff a couple of weekends ago to enjoy the cooler weather and check out the fiber festival at the Pioneer Museum.  We made this trip last year; here is the blog from 2010.

While it was nice to be able to see a couple of demos, hang with some alpacas and check out the limited number of vendors - the trip was really about enjoying the company of friends.  Friends that don't think you aren't paying attention whilst knitting/spinning and communicating with them. 

When we arrived, we had dinner at Brix.  The meal was great and the wine was delicious.  I was appreciating the night sky.
Pretty at Brix in Flag

Sam, enjoying her tea...
Sammy

Debi and Jodie enjoying their wine...
Debi & Jodie

Theresa and Janet enjoying their wine... notice Theresa's sweater, she is such a rockstar!
Theresa and Janet

The cabin was just gorgeous.  We stayed at Arizona Mountain Inn; the cabins were great, affordable and close to town.
Flagstaff Cabin

Friends enjoying the cooler weather.
Friends in Flagstaff

I was really interested in the fact that there was a metal playground.  It reminded me of my youth. 
Metal Playground

Metal merry go-round

Metal merry go-round

We headed over to the fiber festival on Saturday.  We checked out the alpacas, chatted with the vendors, hung out to spin/knit and oh yeah... we shopped.  I walked away with a handful of the most silky alpaca I have ever had the luxury of knowing.  It came from Peaceful Prairie Ranch and I can't wait to spin it up!!!
A handful of vendors at the event.
Flagstaff Fiber Fest 2011

Hanging out.
Friends at a fiber fest

My wheel (Ms. Suzie aka Suzanne) in the woods.
Ms. Suzie in Flagstaff

As some of you know, I have overcome a weight issue that I've been battling for decades.  Here's a blog for reference.  Because of my size, I am anxious to do things that daunted me in the past.  Horseback riding is one of those things.  Sammy and I went on a wonderful ride while we were up in Flagstaff. 

I love this picture of the woods that I took from my horse.  My horse's name is Maverick.  Maverick is a red-head.  I had never seen a horse with such pretty red hair.  
Flagstaff woods

Maverick's pretty red hair; the picture doesn't do his hair justice.
Maverick's pretty red hair

Here's another of the woods that I am fond of.
Flagstaff woods

Sam had the guide manage to get a photo of me after our ride with her phone.
On a horse.

On Sunday, we tooled around downtown Flagstaff.  The buildings were of particular interest to me and the sky provided such a rich blue backdrop that I couldn't resist snapping a few photos.
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Flagstaff

I was really digging this mural.
Flagstaff

Getting up close and personal with my new buddy.
Jodie Flagstaff 2011

And, of course, we stopped off at Macy's before heading home.  No Flagstaff trip is complete without a whiff of their roasts.  I'm looking forward to doing it all again next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment